Another long weekend has come and gone; how precious they are during the summer. We spent this past Canada Day away from the maddening crowd (Ottawa really does get crazy on Canada Day), at a friend's cottage. Dan is a local filmmaker who currently calls Gracefield his home; it's about an hour's drive from Ottawa and what a perfect weekend to be sitting by a lake with a bottomless glass of wine.
A fruity Riesling with ripe peach, pear and apple aromas highlighted by hints of minerality and honeysuckle; light on the palate, it finishes off with a touch of sweetness. At only 11% alcohol you could almost drink this for breakfast, so perfect for afternoon sipping ($8.35).
Instructions for a makeshift oven:
1. dig a big hole
2. line it with rocks
3. make a very hot fire by stoking and letting it burn all day
4. create a ledge (we used an old barbecue form turned upside down)
5. lower various sundry foodstuffs in to the hole (be careful)
6. cover the hole with a piece of metal
7. go have a glass of wine while you wait for dinner